Brush Stroke

How to Go Gray from Colored Hair

katie goes platinum

Brush Stroke
Brush Stroke
Brush Stroke

Are you thinking about ditching the dye and growing out your gray hair? There are various ways to transition to gray hair from dyed hair, and all of them have advantages and disadvantages.

Brush Stroke

I see many women in the Facebook Gray Hair support groups fretting about “not going gray the right way.”

Brush Stroke

Obviously, the easiest way to transition to gray is to never dye your hair, but, for many of us, it’s too late to go that route, right? According to some statistics, 75% of women dye their hair, leaving only 25% who never color.

Brush Stroke

METHOD #1: COLD TURKEY

What does it mean to go gray cold turkey? It means just letting your gray hair grow in, and (except for the occasional haircut) leaving it alone.

Brush Stroke

COLD TURKEY: BUZZ CUT

Buzzing your hair off is a dramatic way to go, but if it suits your personality, go for it! The only disadvantage I can picture is that it might be a shock to “go gray” overnight.

COLD TURKEY: PIXIE CUT

If you want a quick cold-turkey transition, but don’t want to buzz off your hair, consider getting a pixie cut. You could be done with your gray hair transition in 3-6 months, depending on how short you go! Many women are happy to transition with a pixie.

Brush Stroke

COLD TURKEY: LONG HAIR

WHAT SHADE OF EYEBROW LOOKS BEST ON YOU?

Personally, I really was invested in my identity as a green-eyed, pale brunette. I could not IMAGINE myself with light hair. So, I colored my hair for 25+ years. Cutting my hair short and going gray quickly would have been very traumatic for me. So, I chose to go gray cold turkey with longish hair.

Brush Stroke

The easiest and fastest way to go gray is to get your hair buzzed very short. If that’s too drastic for you, a pixie cut is the preferred route for many women.

Brush Stroke

Swipe Up to Read More